This is my complete guide to washing a faux fur blanket.
In this guide you’ll learn:
- How to wash faux fur blanket?
- Caring tips
- Common questions about faux fur blankets
- And More…
So if you want an easy and safe way to wash your faux fur blanket, you’ll love this guide.
Let’s dive right into it.
What is a Faux Fur Blanket?
A faux fur blanket is a type of blanket that is made to look and feel like real fur but without using any animal fur.
They are usually made from synthetic materials such as polyester, modacrylic, or acrylic fibers, and they can be found in a variety of colors and styles.
Faux fur blankets are a great alternative to real fur blankets.
They are usually less expensive and easier to care for.
Plus, they are generally more environmentally friendly since no animals are harmed in the manufacturing process.
Now that you know a little bit more about faux fur blankets, let’s move on to the steps on how to wash them.
How to wash faux fur blanket?
Washing a faux fur blanket is not as difficult as it may seem. In fact, it is quite easy to do if you follow the proper steps.
Here’s a step-by-step instruction to wash a faux fur blanket.
Step 1: Check the care label
Before washing the blanket, it is important to check the care label on your blanket. This will help you determine the best way to wash your particular blanket.
Step 2: Pretreat the blanket
Treat stains with a stain solution OR stain bar before washing.
To pretreat the stains, follow these steps:
1) Saturate the stained area with Stain Solution.
2) Gently rub the Stain Solution Or Stain bar into the stain using a circular motion.
3) Let the Stain Solution Or Stain bar sit on the stain for a few minutes.
4) Rinse the area with cold water.
Pre-treating the blanket with stain remover is an essential step as it helps to get rid of adamant stains caused by coffee, ink, or even wine.
Step 3: Wash the Blanket
- Simply 2 caps of wool and silk shampoo.
- Fill the tub with cold water and submerge your faux fur blanket.
- Gently swirl the blanket around in the water for a few minutes without rubbing it.
- Let it soak for roughly 30 minutes.
- Rinse the blanket thoroughly with cold water.
- Once the blanket is rinsed, gently squeeze out the excess water (Do not wring it, instead press it to squeeze out the water).
If you want to machine wash the blanket, simply put the blanket in a laundry bag also known as a mesh bag and select a delicate wash, low spin, and cold water settings. Just make sure that you are washing the blanket in cold water.
Step 4: Dry the Blanket
- Simply hang the blanket to dry on a laundry rack OR lay them down flat and let it air dry.
- Avoid hanging the blanket in direct sunlight as this can cause the colors to fade.
- Avoid putting the blanket in the dryer
Step 5: Store
Once the blanket is completely dry, you can store it in a cool and dry place.
You can also put it in a garment bag to protect it from dust and dirt.
How to Dry a Faux Fur Blanket?
If your faux fur blanket is wet, first remove as much water as possible by gently pressing it.
Make sure you don’t wring or twist the blanket as this can damage the fibers.
After removing the excess water, simply hang the blanket to dry on a laundry rack OR lay them down flat and let it air dry.
If you are using a dryer, which is not a recommended practice, make sure you use a laundry bag and select the delicate setting with No Heat.
It is also a good idea to put a clean towel in the dryer with your blanket to help absorb moisture.
With that said, just stick to the air-dry method as it’s easy on the blanket and keeps it looking new for longer.
How Can I Make My Faux Fur Blanket Soft Again?
If your faux fur blanket has become stiff or matted, don’t worry as there are a few things you can do to make it soft again.
Try following the below ideas to make your Faux Fur blanket soft again.
Wash the Blanket using Wool & Silk Shampoo
The first thing you need to do is wash the blanket using a wool & silk shampoo.
Washing the blanket with shampoo helps to remove any dirt or grime that may be present on the blanket.
It also helps to make the blanket soft and fluffy again.
Dry with No Heat and Spin Only Function
Another thing you can do is put the blanket in the dryer on the No Heat setting for a few minutes. This will help to fluff up the fibers and make them soft again.
Try pre-treating the blanket with distilled vinegar before performing the main wash.
To do this, simply add 1/2 cup of vinegar to the washtub and submerge the blanket.
Leave the blanket in the solution for 30 minutes and then perform the main wash.
Use Fabric Steamer
You can also try using a fabric steamer to steam the blanket. Just make sure not to place the steamer too close to the blanket as this can damage it.
Use a Fur Brush
Use a fur brush to gently brush the fibers of the blanket. This will help to fluff up the fibers and make them softer.
Faux fur Blanket caring tips
Caring for your faux fur blanket is important if you want it to last longer and look new.
Here are a few tips to help keep your faux fur blanket in good shape.
- Avoid exposing the blanket to direct sunlight as this can cause the colors to fade.
- Avoid putting the blanket in the dryer as this can damage the fibers.
- Try to spot clean the blanket when possible rather than washing it.
- Use a garment bag to store the blanket when not in use. This will help protect it from dust and dirt.
- Make sure to use a gentle wash cycle and cold water if you are using a machine wash.
- Make use of laundry bags if you are machine washing OR Machine drying the blanket.
- Use Wool and Silk shampoo instead of rough detergents.
- Do not use fabric softeners, instead, you can use vinegar.
Proper care of the blanket is important in order to prolong the lifespan of the blanket and keep it looking new.
Washing your faux fur blanket is easy if you follow the steps mentioned above.
Just make sure, you always use cold water to clean them.
Lastly, it’s recommended to wash your faux fur blanket at least once every 3 months if you are a regular user and you may need to increase the washing frequency if you have pets at home.
You May Also Like
- How to Wash Minky Blankets? (Step-by-Step)
- How to Wash an Alpaca Blanket? (Comprehensive Guide)
- How To Wash Barefoot Dreams Blanket? (Step-by-Step)
- How to wash Converse shoes in the washing machine? (Step by Step Guide)
- How to Wash Towels in a Washing Machine (Step by Step Guide)
- How to wash a Down Jacket in Washing Machine?
- How To Wash Car Carpet Without Extractor? (Comprehensive)
- Can Fabric Softener be used with Carpet Cleaner? (Answered)