Depending on the material of the washer’s body you can try a few methods to remove dents. There are several effective methods to remove dents from your washing machine including using a plunger, dent puller, boiling water, dry ice, hairdryer, heat gun, or magnets.
However, it’s important to follow specific instructions for each method depending on the type and size of the dent to achieve the best results.
- Minor Dents on washing machines are common due to their regular usage.
- Most washing machine panels are made with aluminum or stainless steel, however, some may have plastic casings as well.
- Determine what type of material your machine is made of so you can use the correct method to fix dents.
- Make sure to first detach the panel from the washer carefully to work over the dented areas.
Different methods to remove dents from the washing machine
The most typical method for removing dents from machines made of aluminum or stainless steel is by using a plunger.
You can fix small dents in your washing machine using this simple and affordable method.
When trying to fix a dent with a plunger, use one that is flexible, soft, and has a flat end. By doing this, the pressure will be applied to the dent evenly.
To use this technique, immerse the plunger in warm or hot water in a sink or bucket.
For best results, wet the area surrounding the dent.
Once the plunger is damp, firmly press it onto the dent, making sure to cover the entire dent.
The plunger should be moved onto the dent in a circular motion while you apply light pressure.
It’s crucial to make sure a tight seal forms between the plunger and the dent.
After installing the plunger, quickly but firmly push and pull the plunger to create suction.
Increase the pressure gradually as you notice the dent restoring itself.
The suction should remove the dent from the washer’s panel if everything is done correctly.
Repeat the procedure until the dent is eliminated or the dented part repositions itself.
Lastly, use a cloth to dry off any water or debris the plunger left behind after successfully removing the dent.
Dent puller (suction cup)
The most common way to remove dents from metal panels is with a suction cup dent puller, which is similar to a plunger.
There are a variety of options available online, especially to remove dents from a car’s body.
It can be used on the metal panels of your washer.
These suction pump dent pullers are available in different sizes and shapes.
A suction cup dent puller works by creating a vacuum seal between the tool and your washer’s body panel.
Once the seal is created, you can slowly pull the dent out of the washer’s panel.
Depending on the size and shape of the dent, you may need to use multiple suction cups or a larger cup to get the job done.
Combination of dry ice and hairdryer
You can use a combination of dry ice and a hair dryer to remove the dent from the body of the washer.
As soon as you apply the ice bag over the dented area for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Wipe the area with a dry cloth and turn the panel on its reverse side.
Turn on the hair dryer and use a moderate to high heat setting.
Start blowing air over the dent, and you will see it slowly restoring its shape.
You can even reverse the above method by applying heat first and then freezing it (it works equally well).
PDR method (Paintless Dent Repair)
A cool alternative for removing dents from washer panels is to use paintless dent repair (PDR).
Because it requires more accuracy than other methods, this technique is only used by professionals.
Using specialized tools, dents can be manipulated and massaged back into their original shape using this technique.
The best part is that if you do it carefully, no paintwork on the panel will be harmed. But compared to other methods, it demands more accuracy.
It can be particularly helpful for bigger or more complicated dents that are challenging to access using any other technique.
Magnets and steel balls
Put the magnet block on the front side and the steel ball on the dented area behind the panel.
Between the steel ball and the magnet is where the dented area should be.
Next, put a paper towel between the magnet and the panel to avoid scratching the painted side.
Slide the magnet over the dents gradually until the dent pops out or the surface becomes flat.
As you move the magnet from the opposite side, make sure the ball rolls over the dents.
Depending on the thickness of the metal body, it might require several attempts to fix the dents.
Hot water for the plastic casing
For plastic casings or panels, fill a bucket with hot water and press a soft cloth against the dented area.
Pour hot water over the dented area and let it sit until it feels hot.
Then, place the cloth over the dent to exert pressure.
The heat from the hot water will help to soften the plastic, making it easier to gently press it back into shape.
Although it might take a little longer than using a plunger, this approach is still very efficient.
To blow hot air over the dented surface, you can also use a hair dryer.
The heat from the hair dryer will help to restore its shape by contracting the dented surface.
Some techniques used to fix the dents may damage the paint of the washer’s panel.
You will need to repaint it or simply apply a touch-up using a paint sprayer (preferably rust-proof paint).
If the dents are deeper, it may require some hammering; hence, you will need to contact a professional for help if the dents are severe.
Lastly, make sure to carefully reassemble the washer panels after fixing the dents.
You May Also Like
- How to remove the drain hose from Maytag Washer?
- How to remove the agitator from Maytag washing machine?
- Black flakes in washing machine? Remove weird flakes
- How to extend the lifespan of your washing machine?
- How to Hook up a Washing Machine? (Explained)
- How to hook up and use Pyle portable washing machine?
- Are all washer and dryer hookups the same?
- How to remove rust from the washer drum?
- Washing machine putting grease stains on clothes? (Solved)
- How To level a Maytag washer? (Top load & front load washer)
- How to remove the agitator from Maytag washing machine?
- How to replace agitator dogs in a washing machine?
- How to know if the washer’s control board is bad?
- Can you repair a washing machine rotor?
- Average Washing Machine Weight (with examples)
- Can Washing Machine Run on Inverter Power?
- Can you install a washing machine in a caravan?
- Can You Run A Washing Machine On A Generator?
- Can a washing machine run on solar power? (Explained)