To clean a laundry basket, dip the sponge in a mixture of water and soap and start scrubbing the inside and outside surfaces of the basket thoroughly. Next, wash the laundry basket with clean water, wipe it with a dry towel, and let it air dry. Alternatively, you can use an antibacterial wipe and wipe the basket thoroughly to disinfect it and get rid of bacteria and dirt.
- The laundry basket can be made of a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, wood, jute, or other synthetic materials.
- Cleaning the laundry basket regularly will keep it odor-free, and the same is applicable to your laundry pile.
- The easy way to clean a laundry basket is to prepare a solution of mild detergent and warm water and use a soft cloth to wipe down the basket.
- If the basket is extremely dirty, you may use a toothbrush, dish brush, or any soft brush to get rid of the stubborn dirt and grime.
What is a laundry basket?
A laundry basket is a container used to hold dirty laundry and is also used to transport laundry from one location to another, such as from the bedroom to the laundry room.
They are usually made of plastic, metal, or woven materials like wicker or rattan and have a handle for carrying convenience.
These utility baskets can also be used to store clean clothes that need to be folded or ironed.
They come in different sizes and shapes, from large and rectangular to small and round, and can be designed to fit in with a variety of home decor styles.
In fact, you can easily buy one that fits your laundry room, bathroom, or wherever you plan to keep your basket.
Also, some laundry baskets have lids to keep clothes dust-free, or even wheels to make it easier to transport them around the house.
Why should you clean a laundry basket?
Cleaning a laundry basket is important for several reasons. It not only helps prevent the buildup of bacteria, mold, and mildew, which can be harmful to your health, but also keeps your clothes smelling fresh and clean.
No doubt, your clothes may be clean when they are first put into the basket, but as more clothes are added, the dirt and grime that sticks to the basket will eventually seep into the fibers of your clothes, resulting in a smelly and stained laundry pile.
Furthermore, dirty laundry baskets can also attract pests such as insects and rodents, which can be a huge problem to deal with.
Cleaning your laundry basket on a regular basis will help it last longer, regardless of the material it is made of.
How to clean the laundry basket?
Cleaning a laundry basket is similar to cleaning any other laundry equipment, and it should be done according to the type and material of the basket.
Here are some general guidelines and tips for cleaning a laundry basket.
- A mild detergent
- A brush (a toothbrush will be sufficient)
- Warm water
- Baking Soda
- Vinegar (Only to be used as an alternative to Baking soda)
- Vacuum cleaner (Optional)
- Cleaning cloth or sponge
- Disinfectant wipes (optional)
- Liquid laundry disinfectant or Dettol (optional)
Cleaning a laundry basket made of plastic or metal
If your laundry basket is made of metal or plastic, start by emptying it out so that it’s easy to access all the nooks and crannies that need cleaning.
Remove any surface dirt and grime from the basket with a damp cloth or sponge.
Next, you can take one of the below approaches to get a clean laundry basket.
If the basket is slightly dirty, start by mixing water and soap in a small bowl.
You can also add a small amount of distilled vinegar and mix the solution well.
Dip a cloth or a sponge into the solution and start by scrubbing it over the inside and outside surfaces of the laundry basket.
Leave it for about 5 minutes, and then wash off the solution with clean water.
If it still looks a bit dirty, simply repeat the step and wipe it with a dry cloth before using it again.
You can also use a disinfecting wipe if you want to be extra sure that your laundry basket is clean.
The other way of cleaning the basket is to vacuum it first, followed by wiping its surface with a wet cloth or wipes.
Next, use a toothbrush to spread a paste of baking soda and water over the entire surface of the basket.
Make sure to properly work on areas that are stained, dirty, or have stubborn buildups by scrubbing them with the brush. Now, leave it to settle for about an hour.
The next step is to clean the basket using clean water.
You can place the basket under a running faucet and start brushing the basket to remove the loosened dirt and grime.
Once you are done washing the basket, wipe it with a dry cloth.
Lastly, wipe the basket with disinfectant wipes or use a laundry disinfectant like Dettol and place it in a ventilated area to air dry completely before using it.
A quick summary of the cleaning process
- Vacuum the basket to remove any dust or debris.
- Mix a solution of mild detergent and warm water in a bucket.
- Dip a soft-bristled brush into the solution and gently scrub the basket, paying extra attention to any stained or dirty areas.
- Wash the basket with clean water and pat it dry with a towel.
Preventative measures to avoid having to clean the laundry basket too frequently
- Make use of a liner inside the basket to prevent staining.
- As a best practice, regularly empty the basket to prevent the buildup of dirt and odors.
- Avoid keeping damp or wet clothes in the basket for extended periods.
- Clean up the spills and stains as soon as they occur to prevent them from setting in.
- Keep the area around the basket clean and dry to prevent it from getting dirty or stained.
- If you want the basket to last longer, you shouldn’t use chemicals or rough treatment methods when cleaning it.
- Wash the basket with mild detergent and warm water to remove dirt and bacteria.
- Drying the basket thoroughly after cleaning helps prevent mold and mildew growth.
Keeping your laundry basket clean is good for your health and makes your home look clean and organized.
Furthermore, it also keeps your clothes smelling fresh and clean.
If you want to spend less time cleaning the basket, it’s a good idea to follow the preventive measures mentioned above, such as using a liner, emptying the basket periodically, etc.
And always remember that cleaning your laundry basket on a regular basis will help it last longer and make your laundry routine more pleasant.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I clean my laundry basket?
It is recommended to clean your laundry basket on a regular basis, at least once a week or as necessary. There is no fixed rule for how often you should clean your laundry basket, but it is important to ensure that it is regularly kept free from any dirt and debris.
Can I use vinegar to clean my laundry basket?
Yes, vinegar can be used to clean your laundry basket. Vinegar not only acts as a natural cleaner, but it’s also an excellent disinfectant.
Can you wash a woven laundry basket?
It’s best to wipe your woven laundry basket with a sponge or microfiber cloth dipped in detergent water. Just dip the sponge or cloth in the solution made of either a dishwashing liquid and water or regular detergent and water and sponge it gently to remove the stains and dirt.
You May Also Like
- What is a portable laundry hamper? (Explained)
- What is laundry stripping? (With Laundry Stripping Recipe)
- Are laundry pedestals worth it? (Explained)
- What does the laundry service do? (Explained)
- Do ozone laundry systems work? (Explained)
- Why is homemade laundry detergent or soap bad? (Explained)
- What is a FoldiMate in Laundry? (Benefits & Drawbacks)
- 10 Laundry Drying Hacks Everyone Should Know (Clever Ways)
- What is a Laundry Marker? (Explained)
- Difference Between Laundry Sink And Utility Sink (Explained)
- Laundromats OR Home Laundry? (Which is Cheaper?)
- Which is Better Laundry or Dry Cleaning? (Explained)
- Five Stages Of Laundry Process (Explained)
- Laundry Bags: 11 Commonly Asked Questions Answered
- Laundry Pods: 12 Answers you should know