Back from a thrilling camping trip and dealing with a dirty tent? OR Has your Tent turned extremely dirty?
Whatever the reason may be, you are thinking of cleaning your tent in an as easy way as possible.
To be honest cleaning a tent in the washing machine is possible but not a recommended practice.
Cleaning a tent in the washing machine is not recommended as it can not only damage the tent’s protective coating but also stretch and tear the tent apart during a rough wash cycle. Furthermore, it can also damage the internal components of the washing machine.
A Tent is not something that requires everyday cleaning, hence hand washing them is always recommended.
If you still want to wash the tent in a washing machine you can do it but it’s a risky step.
So, if you have decided not to clean the tent in the washing machine, which is highly recommended, you may leave.
If you still want to go ahead, let’s look into the steps you will need to take in order to clean your tent safely in a washing machine.
In this post, you will learn:
- Is It Possible To Wash The Tent In Washing Machine?
- Types of washers preferred
- Do’s and Don’t
- How to Hand-Wash tents?
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently asked questions
Let’s jump right into it.
Is It Possible To Wash The Tent In Washing Machine?
The answer is both Yes and No.
As we said earlier, technically it is possible to wash a tent in a washing machine but we do not recommend it.
Washing machines are designed for clothes and other fabrics that go well with washers, whereas Tents are made of different materials that can be damaged by the washer.
The main reason why we don’t recommend washing a tent in the washer is that it can damage the waterproof coating.
This coat is what makes the tent water-resistant.
Once this coat is damaged, the tent will no longer be able to protect you from the rain or other elements.
Furthermore, the washing machine has spinning blades that can tear the tent and easily tangle the cords and other parts of the tent.
No tent manufacturer will recommend a machine wash, in fact washing your tent in the washing machine will void the warranty and increase the wear and tear.
So, if you still want to wash your tent in the washing machine, we recommend that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Set the washing machine to the delicate or gentle cycle.
Step 2: Use cold water settings.
Step 3: Wash the tent alone, without any other clothes or fabric.
Step 4: Add a mild detergent designed for delicate clothing.
Step 5: Hang the tent to dry in a shaded area, away from direct sunlight.
Note: Do not wash the tent in the washing machine if the size of your washer is small and never put your tent in a top load washer.
Types of washers preferred for machine tents
The two types of washing machines that can be used for machine-washing your tents are:
1. Front Load Washing Machine: These washers have a horizontal tub that rotates around a central vertical agitator. They are considered to be gentle on clothes and are less likely to damage your tent.
2. HE or High-Efficiency Washing Machine: These washers have a horizontal tub that rotates around a central vertical agitator. They use less water and are gentle on clothes.
Having said that, you should keep in mind that a small-sized washer will damage the tent if there is not enough room for the tent to move around freely.
So regardless of the washer type, the size matters.
Do’s and Don’t
When it comes to washing your tent in the washing machine, there are certain do’s and don’ts that you should keep in mind.
Here are some of them:
1. Do set the washing machine to the delicate or gentle cycle.
2. Do use cold water only.
3. Do wash the tent alone, without any other clothes or fabric.
4. Do add a mild detergent designed for delicate clothing.
5. Do hang the tent to dry in a shaded area, away from direct sunlight.
6. Do read the washing instructions carefully before washing the tent.
7. Do follow the care labels on the tent.
1. Don’t wash the tent in the washing machine if the size of your washer is small and never put your tent in a top load washer.
2. Don’t use hot water as it can damage the waterproof coating on the tent.
3. Don’t add any bleach or fabric softener while washing the tent.
4. Don’t put the tent in the dryer, instead let it air dry.
5. Don’t store the wet tent inside the house or in the car as it can lead to mildew growth.
6. Don’t fold the wet tent, instead, let it air dry before folding.
7. Don’t machine wash the tent too often as it can damage the waterproof coating.
How to Hand-Wash Tents?
Hand-washing a tent is the best and most recommended way to clean it.
It is also the safest method as there is no risk of damaging the tent.
When hand-washing a tent, you should use a mild detergent and cold water.
Never use hot water as it can damage the waterproof coating on the tent.
Here are the steps that you need to follow:
Step 1: Take the tent down and remove all the stakes.
Step 2: Shake the dirt and debris from the tent.
Step 3: Fill a tub or basin with cold water and add a mild detergent.
Step 4: Submerge the tent in soapy water and allow it to soak for a few minutes.
Step 5: Use a soft brush to scrub the tent gently.
Step 6: Rinse the tent thoroughly with clean water.
Step 7: Hang the tent to dry in a shaded area, away from direct sunlight.
Washing your tent in the washing machine is not recommended by most tent manufacturers.
It’s always best to hand wash the tent instead of washing them in the washing machine.
Even if you choose to wash the tent in the washing machine, make sure the size of the washer is large enough to fit one tent. Moreover, the tent should be able to move freely inside.
Lastly, always read the care label before washing your tent.
Also Read: How to Hook Up a Portable Washing Machine?
Frequent Asked Questions
Here are some common questions that are frequently asked when it comes to washing tents in the washing machine.
Can I use a front load washer to wash my tent?
Tents should never be washed in washing machines. However front-load washers are much gentler and less likely to damage your tent in the short run.
Can I put my tent in the dryer?
No, you should never put your tent in the dryer as it can damage the waterproof coating and fabric. Instead, let it air dry in a shaded area.
Can I use hot water to wash my tent?
No, you should only use cold water as hot water can damage the waterproof coating.
Can I add bleach or fabric softener while washing my tent?
No, you should never add bleach or fabric softener while washing your tent as it can damage the fabric and waterproof coating.
Can I wash my tent with other clothes?
No, you should never wash your tent with other clothes or fabric as it can damage the fabric. Wash your tent alone in the washing machine.
You May Also Like