It is safe to wash clothes with gasoline on them after pre-treating or spot-cleaning the affected surface.
In order to wash clothes that are stained with gasoline, follow the below instructions.
- First, blot the stain with a clean and absorbent cloth to remove as much of the gasoline as possible.
- Next, pre-treat the stain with a laundry pre-treatment product or a little bit of dish soap. Gasoline stains on clothes can also be taken care of with rubbing alcohol or vinegar.
- After the pre-treatment, it is best to hand wash the clothing separately using cold water and a suitable detergent. You can include vinegar for soaking the garments to remove the strong smell.
- Lastly, let the garment dry for longer, and in case the garment smells like gasoline, you can soak the clothing in water mixed with either distilled vinegar or baking soda for another couple of hours.
- Then, rinse it thoroughly and put it to air-dry.
In some cases, you may have to repeat the pre-treatment steps to get rid of gasoline completely from your garments.
- Gasoline stains are adamant and tend to stick to clothes even if washed several times.
- It’s recommended to hang your clothes outside to air out for approx. 24 hours before washing them.
- If you’re spot-cleaning, use a little bit of dish soap or a laundry pre-treatment product and work from the outside of the stain toward the center.
- For tough stains, you can try using rubbing alcohol or vinegar.
- It is always better to spot clean or pretreat the affected surface as soon as it attracts stains. Doing this will ensure a safer environment around you and will prevent the stains from settling in.
- After pre-treating and draining the garment thoroughly with clean water it is safe to wash them the usual way.
What is gasoline?
Gasoline is a petroleum liquid that is used as a fuel in internal combustion engines and as a solvent in some industrial processes.
It is mostly a mixture of hydrocarbons that is highly flammable and has a boiling point of between 30 and 70 °C.
Gasoline, being a petroleum liquid, tends to leave an oily residue and a strong smell behind if it comes into contact with clothes.
How to get gasoline out of clothes?
If you spill gasoline on your clothes, the very next step is to act as quickly as possible to get rid of the residue in order to prevent any damage to the fabric.
Here are some tips for removing gasoline stains from clothes:
- Remove the affected clothing immediately and take it outside.
- Do not rub the spill, as this will spread the gasoline and make it harder to remove.
- Blot the spill with a clean, dry cloth to soak up as much of the gasoline as possible.
- Rinse the affected area with cold water.
- Apply a small amount of dish soap or laundry detergent to the stain and work on it gently with your fingers.
- Thoroughly rinse the soap out with cold water. You may have to rinse it a couple of times.
- As an optional step repeat the above process until the stain is gone (repeat steps only if required).
- Wash the clothing item in your washing machine or by hand according to the manufacturer’s instructions or the usual way.
Note: If you have missed spot-cleaning the stains instantly and if the stains have settled, it’s best to hang your clothes outside to air out the gas fumes. Leaving it to dry for about 24 hours before washing should be sufficient. This will help to remove the gasoline smell as well.
How to get rid of the gasoline smell from your clothing?
Before we proceed, let me tell you that even if you get rid of the gasoline stain from the fabric the normal way, you will still be able to smell its presence.
This is why, along with stroking off gasoline stains, it is equally important to get rid of the foul smell from the garments.
Let us look into a few steps to get rid of the gasoline smell along with the stains using home remedies.
If the clothes are heavily stained with gasoline and if the stains have already settled, hang the clothes outside to air out the smell.
Ideally, you should hang your clothes outside for anywhere between 12 and 24 hours for the best results.
Once the clothes have aired out, proceed to one of the below-mentioned methods.
The first thing is to soak the stained item in a sink full of water and a good quality detergent.
Then, allow it to soak in the solution for at least a couple of hours.
Before you rinse the garment, swirl it around the sink for a while.
Next, thoroughly rinse with clean water.
Use baking soda
Simply place 1 cup of baking soda in a Ziplock bag and place the stained clothing inside. With that said, make sure to lock the bag airtight.
Next, let it sit for a couple of hours, or you can leave it to settle overnight.
This is one of the best ways to get rid of the gasoline smell from your clothing.
Finally, wash your clothes in the usual manner.
Fill a sink with cold water and add about 2 cups of vinegar to it.
Add the odorous garment to the solution and let it soak completely.
Leave it to settle for at least 2 hours, and then you can rinse your garment with clean water. Finally, wash your garments as usual.
Do not wash the gasoline-stained garments using hot water directly on them. Instead, pre-treat the affected garments before washing and always use cold water.
If you’re unsure about how to treat gasoline stains on your clothes, the best option is always to take them to a professional.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does laundry detergent remove gasoline?
Most laundry detergents contain enzymes that can get rid of petroleum-based stains like gasoline. If your clothes still come out unclean and smell like gasoline, you can try treating the stain with vinegar, dish soap, or baking soda.
Does vinegar get gasoline smell out of clothes?
Soaking clothes in vinegar is an effective way to remove the smell of gasoline. Simply soak the garments in a sink full of cold water and vinegar for at least two hours before washing them.
Will baking soda absorb gasoline?
Baking soda not only helps to absorb the gasoline odor from clothes but also helps to absorb the stain.
Does gasoline stain clothes?
Yes, gasoline can definitely stain clothes. If you spill gasoline on your clothing, it’s important to act quickly and treat the stain as soon as possible. The longer the gasoline stays on the fabric, the harder it will be to remove.
You May Also Like
- Is it hygienic to machine wash floor mats? (Explained)
- Is it OK to Wash Sneakers in the Washing Machine?
- Is it Better to Wash a Hat in the Dishwasher Or the Washing Machine?
- Is it OK to Wash a Dog Bed in the Washing Machine?
- Is It Possible To Wash The Tent In Washing Machine?
- Can You Wash Artificial Flowers In Washing Machine?
- How To Wash Infant Clothes In A Washing Machine?
- Do ozone laundry systems work? (Explained)
- What dissolves pet hair in the washing machine?
- Should You Wash Spot Clean Only Fabrics Or Clothes? (Explained)
- How To Wash Bed Net In Washing Machine? (Easy Way)
- How do you wash LulaRoe jeans? (5 Methods Covered)
- Can Minnetonka Moccasins be washed in the washing machine?