A washing machine cover not only protects your washer from dust but also protects the color from fading and avoids direct contact with water. Therefore, it helps to keep the aesthetics intact and delays the rusting process.
With that said, although washing machine covers help protect their exterior from dust, dirt particles, and water spills, they can also trap heat and moisture around the surface.
So, it’s better to use them in conditions that are suitable. For example, if you have installed your washer in an open area, outside your home, or in a bathroom, it will make a lot of sense to use a washing machine cover.
- Washing machine covers are like a protective shield that prevents the washer’s exterior from dust and dirt particles. Moreover, you can use it to prevent them from water spills that can damage the surface in long run.
- You will have to be very careful as washing machine covers can trap heat and moisture that can go unnoticed. Therefore, causing the exterior to deteriorate in long run.
- Even if you use a cover for your washing machine, you should always check for any buildup around the machine’s surface and clean them regularly.
- Always choose a suitable cover and confirm with the manufacturer before deciding to put the covers.
Should you use a washing machine cover?
To be precise, using a washing machine cover is a conditional choice.
Once you own a cover to secure your washing machine, you will need to include it in your periodic maintenance as you do for the washer (i.e., you may need to wash the cover periodically in order to maintain its effectiveness).
In addition to the several advantages of a washing machine cover, you may also have to face some unknown consequences, which we will discuss one by one.
Let’s take a quick look at some positive points followed by some possible drawbacks of a cover.
Maintains the washer’s physical appearance
Covering the washing machine with a cover can keep it looking new from the outside for longer.
Over time, the exposed surface of the washer may appear dull if you leave it untreated. And, it is also very common to scratch the outer surface of your washer while handling it.
This is where covers can be very handy.
A good quality washing machine cover can prevent scratches on the washing machine’s outer surface and maintain its appearance for longer.
Protects from different Climatic conditions
If you have placed your washing machine outside the house or in an open area, it simply means that it is exposed to dust, dirt, debris, rainwater, direct sunlight, etc.
Washing machine covers are ideal for someone who operates the washer on a terrace, on a balcony, near the window, or outside their house.
Covers can protect the washing machine to some extent from different climatic conditions.
Prevents dust and dirt accumulation
Over time, dust and dirt accumulation with moisture can cause the growth of mold and mildew, and other buildups over the washing machine.
These buildups can cause damage to your machine in many ways and in no time.
A cover will keep the washer secured by preventing such formations or buildups on its surface.
Moreover, by keeping your unit clean and free of debris, you can ensure that it will continue to run smoothly for years to come.
Prevents corrosion and rusting
We all know the impact of water spills on your washing machine’s outer surface.
Water spills are quite common when using them, especially if they’re installed in a bathroom.
Plus, a washer exposed to rain will also have direct water contact across its surface.
This can result in rusting of metallic surfaces, as well as damage to other components, especially electrical ones.
Drawbacks of using a washing machine cover
- One of the potential drawbacks of using a washing machine cover is that it could trap heat and moisture, leading to mold and mildew growth on the machine.
- Damage caused to a washer due to non-suitable covers may void the warranty of your washing machine. Therefore, you should consult with your washer’s manufacturer before opting for one.
- It may make it more difficult to access the controls on the machine.
- The cover may make it difficult to see the contents of the washing machine, which could lead to overloading and concerns with the washing cycle.
- A non-suitable cover can make it difficult to access the controls and the door. If you have a top-loading washing machine, you may need to remove the cover to add laundry detergent or fabric softener.
- Keeping the cover in good condition can be another overhead expense.
Some people use washing machine covers as a decorative addition to their laundry room, while others use them to keep the washer protected from different weather conditions. Some may even use the cover to keep the washer looking new for longer.
If you have to use the washing machine cover for any reason, make sure to inspect and clean it inside and out on a regular basis, along with the washer itself.
To prevent moisture and heat damage, you should look for a cover made from a durable material that can withstand exposure to these conditions.
Lastly, make sure to use a suitable cover that fits on the machine and does not impede access to the controls or obstruct the view of the contents.
So, choosing a cover is purely a personal choice and not an obligation.
As long as the manufacturer is OK with the use of a cover and if you are OK with the above-mentioned pros and cons, you can use a suitable cover.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are all washing machine covers the same?
Washing machine covers vary depending on the model and type of washer. Moreover, they also differ from the materials used to make them.
Is a washing machine cover waterproof?
Usually, washing machine covers are made using breathable and water-resisting layers. You will need to look for a cover that is completely waterproof and made using durable fabric.
Can a washing machine cover void the warranty?
A non-suitable washing machine cover always poses a risk of voiding the warranty as it can negatively impact the exterior. For more clarity, simply contact the manufacturer’s helpline number.
How can I get a cover for my washing machine?
A local washing machine spare parts or accessories dealer can arrange one for your washing machine model type. Alternatively, you can check it out online using the model number of your washing machine.
What can I use instead of a washing machine cover on the terrace?
You can have a cabinet built for your machine on the terrace to protect it from different weather conditions. Additionally, you can offer shade or build a small laundry room.
Which type of cover is best for washing machines?
Washing machine covers made of vinyl are usually preferred by many as it last longer and better handles stains. However, it is not a bad idea to check with the manufacturer to find out which cover is appropriate for your washer.
Is washing machine cover worth it?
A good washing machine cover will not only help to protect the exterior from dust and dirt but also help to prevent the color from fading. So, a washing machine cover is definitely worth it if you are selecting the right one for your washer.
You May Also Like
- Is a washing machine stand necessary?
- Are washing machines waterproof on the outside?
- How much water does a washing machine use?
- How to Disinfect Washing Machine without bleach? (Easy steps)
- How to keep the washing machine in a small bathroom?
- What is Soil Level in Washing Machine?
- Washing Machine Bearings: 6 Answers you must Know
- How to Calculate Washing Machine Capacity? (With formula)
- What causes a washing machine motor to burn out? (Detailed Explanation)
- How to Reduce Washing Machine Noise? (Easy Instructions)
- Portable Washing Machine: 10 Common Problems & Solutions
- Washing Machine Leakage Problems? Do this now
- What is Limescale in the washing machine?
- How to Descale a Washing Machine? (Step by Step)
- How to Winterize a washing machine?