Is your Laundry room struggling with low water pressure levels?
If yes, then installing a booster pump becomes a must.
It ensures that your washer runs efficiently without struggling to fill and drain.
A Water Booster Pump is a small, electrically powered pump that helps to increase the water pressure. It helps to improve the performance of your washing machine.
Let us take a quick look at, what water booster pumps are, how they work, and whether they are worth the investment.
What is a water booster pump for a washer?
A water booster pump is an electrical device that uses a motor to increase the water pressure.
It is responsible for pumping water into the washer during the wash cycle.
You can mount a booster pump near the washer, household main supply, or near the water tank.
It needs the power to run and when the washer is turned on, it pumps the water into the washer until it reaches the desired level.
What are the advantages of a booster pump?
There are many advantages of installing a water booster pump.
Here are some well-known advantages.
- The adequate water pressure can help to fill the washtub. This helps to remove tough stains from your clothing in an effective manner.
- Booster pumps can also help to reduce the amount of time it takes to wash a load of laundry.
- It eliminates the error codes displayed by the washer due to low water pressure.
- They can improve the overall efficiency of your washing machine.
If you are looking for ideas to improve your washer’s performance during low pressures then simply install a mini-booster pump.
How do you select a booster pump for your washer?
For a washer that struggles with low water pressure, you may install a booster pump.
There are a few aspects to evaluate in selecting a water booster pump for your washer.
We have listed a few important points below, to help you to choose a suitable pump.
Flow Rate and Acceptable Water Pressure
Select a pump that can produce enough pressure to maintain the efficiency of the washer.
Also, check the flow rate that’s compatible with your washing machine.
Suitable Power Source
You’ll want to select a pump that can either run through electricity or operate using a battery. The batteries used to operate the pumps are chargeable in most cases.
You will be offered a warranty for around 6 months up to 1 year.
Some manufacturers offer extended warranties on their water booster pumps.
You can contact the manufacturer’s helpline for detailed information.
You will need to determine whether you want a temporary or permanent installation.
- Permanent installation will require some plumbing work, but it will be more durable and long-lasting.
- The temporary installation is less expensive and easier to install, but it will need to be replaced more often.
Considering the above factors you can choose a suitable booster pump for your washer.
How to install a booster pump for your washer?
Water booster pumps can be a prominent addition to your laundry if you have low water pressure.
Installing them is not too complex, but there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
Always look into the user manual instructions before installing a booster pump.
Disconnect the Supplies
Shut off the water supply to your washer and unplug from the power outlet.
Locate the Installation point
You’ll need to choose the right location for your pump.
It should be close to the water source and the washer.
- Cut a hole in the supply pipe at this point so that you can attach the pump.
- And install the check valve and pressure switch. These components will help ensure that your pump doesn’t overwork itself.
- Next, you’ll need to connect the pump to your plumbing system. This can be done with PVC pipes or flexible hoses.
- Connect the booster pump to the power source and turn it on. Finally, you may open the main water supply and let the pump do its job.
With everything in place, your new water booster pump should be up and running in no time. Make sure to check for any leaks after the successful installation.
For any leaks, turn off the power immediately and check the seals connecting the pump.
If you are unsure of the cause then contact a professional for help.
How do you maintain a booster pump?
If you have installed a water booster pump, then it becomes important to keep them in good shape.
You should regularly inspect the intake screen for clogs and clean them as needed.
It can be done using a brush or by placing them under running water.
Make sure to keep an eye on the pipes/hoses that connect to the water booster pump.
These hoses can wear out over time, so if you notice any leaks or cracks, be sure to substitute them instantly.
If your pump starts making noise or vibrating unduly, it may be because there’s something caught in it. If that’s the case either clean the pump yourself OR take help from a professional.
Also Read: How to Clean a Portable Washing Machine?
If you have a washing machine with a low water pressure supply, then you may consider investing in a water booster pump.
You can install it near your washer, water tank, or close to the main supplies.
A booster pump can be operated manually or automatically.
They can significantly increase the amount of water flow to your washing machine, making it much more efficient.
There are a few different types of water booster pumps on the market, so be sure to do your research before purchasing one.
If your washing machine is not drawing water, then it is likely that the booster pump is not working properly.
In most cases, you will need to replace the booster pump if it stops working.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions related to water booster pumps for washers.
Is there a washer that works with low water pressure?
Yes, there are washers that work with low water pressure levels. Brands such as Whirlpool with ZPF technology and Haier with NZP mechanism are known to function even with the lowest water pressure levels.
How much does a booster pump cost?
The cost may vary depending on the capacity selected. There are mini-booster pumps available for a single supply line. You may buy one for your washer and they are quite reasonable for your pockets.
Is it necessary to install a booster pump for the washer?
It is not necessary to install a booster pump if your laundry gets adequate water pressure.
What else can I do to increase the water pressure in my laundry?
Inspect and keep the supply lines clean from clogs and debris. Set up your washer close to the water tank or vice versa. Do not plumb complex supplies towards the water source.
Does the water booster pump impact my energy bills?
The water booster pumps usually function automatically when your washer needs a water supply. Hence it uses significantly less energy. There should not be any major impact on your energy bill as it booster pump actually reduces the wash time.
You May Also Like
- What is a Washing Machine Standpipe? (Explained)
- What is Extra Rinse in Washing Machine?
- What is a Smart Washer and Dryer? (Explained)
- What is an Agitator in Washing Machine?
- What is a Lint Filter in Washer? (10 Things you must know)
- What is Soil Level in Washing Machine?
- What Is RPM in Washing Machine? (13 Things to know)
- What Is Rinse And Spin In LG Washing Machine?
- What is IE Error in LG Washing Machine? (And Solutions)