A warranty is a kind of promise OR guarantee that the washing machine will be free from defects for a certain period of time.
If there is any defect found during the warranty period the manufacturer simply promises to repair OR replace the defective parts.
The length of the warranty varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but is typically one to two years.
Some washing machine warranties also cover parts and labor, while others only cover the cost of the machine itself.
It’s important to read the fine print of your washing machine warranty to understand what is covered and what’s not.
By doing so, you can be sure to take advantage of any coverage you may be entitled to in the event that your washing machine needs repairs.
Although few exclusions from the warranty are out of one’s control, most exclusions are controllable by simply following the user guidelines set by the manufacturers.
With this guide, you will have a better understanding of the common exclusions set by the washing machine manufacturers.
Here’s what this article covers:
Table Of Contents
- What are the common exclusions in the washer’s warranty?
- Maintenance and Repairs
- Service Costs
- Rectification Charges
- Handling and Operation
- Supply & Fixtures
- Accessibility/Usage/ Placement
- Manipulation of Serial Numbers
- Consumable parts
- Pests, Vermin, and Rodents
- Natural Disaster or Act of God
- Internation Warranty
- Warranty Transfer
- Timely Reporting
- Other Factors
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s take a quick look into it.
What are the common exclusions in the washer’s warranty?
There are many exclusions in the list and most of these are controllable or avoidable.
Let us look into the common list set by most manufacturers under the warranty coverage exclusion.
So, any damages or failures caused due to the below factors are excluded from the warranty coverage.
Maintenance & Repairs
- Cleaning & Cleaners: If you fail to maintain and clean your washer in a timely manner, and if there is a damage caused due to this reason, it may lead to warranty suspension under “incorrect or improper maintenance OR failure to maintain”
Using unsuitable cleaners that cause damage is restricted from the warranty.
Tip: It is always recommended to clean your washer timely using suitable cleaning solutions and this also includes using a suitable detergent during wash cycles.
- Removal of Washer: Any cost involved in removing the washer from its placement for servicing or repair purposes.
Tip: Do not complicate the installation of the washer and rather keep it easy as per the installation guidelines of your washer.
- Unauthorized repair: The Warranty may void if there was an unauthorized repair, using parts unauthorized by the manufacturers or incompatible with your washer, any type of alteration, transformation or modification, tampering, misuse, or damage done to the washing machine.
Tip: Washing machines under the warranty should be inspected or repaired by an authorized service professional of the manufacturer, likewise the replacement parts of the washer should be approved by the respective manufacturers.
Cost of trips such as standard traveling expenses or conveyance of the support personnel visiting your home for service repairs or pickup and delivery charges of parts replacement.
For e.g. If you contact the manufacturer helpline to request a service or repair due to a fault or damage caused to the washer, then you may have to bear the below expenses.
- The standard traveling cost of the service personnel who visits your home.
- Pickup and delivery charges of any replacement part if required.
Tip: The trip costs may vary depending on various factors and get this information you may contact the manufacturer’s helpline.
If you call a service professional for a few additional services then you may have to bear the charges for the services such as :
- Replacing your house fuses
- Resetting the circuit breakers
- Correction of your house wiring.
- Plumbing rectification.
- Correction of improper washing machine installation.
Tip: Most of the services listed above are chargeable if you contact a professional, however, you may avoid the correction of the washer’s installation by a planned and proper installation in the first attempt.
Handling & Operation
- Installation: Improper installation of the washer or incorrect application offered during an installation that becomes a cause of a fault or damage.
Tip: Always follow proper installation practices as per requirements and manufacturer’s guidelines available in the user guide.
- Accidental Damage: Any accidental damage or normal wear and tear or physical damage caused to the washer will be excluded from the warranty coverage.
Tip: Accidental damages are not covered under the warranty terms, hence make sure the washer is in a safe and suitable environment with proper hookups.
- Misuse & Abuse: During the warranty claim if any misuse or abusive use of the washer is observed such as physical abuse causing faults to the washer may void the warranty.
Tip: Use your washer with proper care to avoid such incidents.
- Incorrect Operation: Damage caused by not following the proper instructions provided by the manufacturer as per the user guide or manuals may void the warranty.
Tip: Always use the washer with proper settings and applicable functions as per the required wash programs.
- Corrosion and Rusting: If damage is caused such as discoloration, rust, or oxidation of surfaces while operating your washer in a corrosive atmosphere or against the offered instructions of the manufacturer.
For e.g. If you have placed your washer in a bathroom near the shower that spills water on the machine most often and causes a fault.
Another Example is: If You have placed your washer out of your house without a shade or protection or on the balcony or the terrace, there are chances that your washer may get damaged due to exposure to rain and other weather conditions.
Tip: Avoid placing your washer exposed to damage causing atmosphere and prefer using a suitable washing machine stand and a cover in such conditions as per manufacturer’s guidelines. Doing this may lower the probabilities of damage to some extent.
Note: Always use a suitable washer stand and cover as per the manufacturer’s guidelines for accessories
Supply & Fixtures
Damage caused by faulty Power and Water supplies that may void the warranty are listed below.
- Power Supply:
The power supplied to your washer was unstable and caused fluctuations such as power surges and dips.
The supplied voltage was incorrect voltage as per the washer’s suitability.
Any non-authorized electrical connections applied that were against the manufacturer’s guidelines.
In such situations, if there is any damage caused to the washer then it may simply void the warranty.
Tip: Make sure the power supplied is as per the required voltage as per your washer type and avoid using the washer during fluctuations.
Use a suitable stabilizer if the power fluctuation is frequent or uneven.
(Note: Electrical damages caused due to unsuitable stabilizers may void the warranty)
- Water Supply
If there is any fault caused to the washer due to an insufficient or interrupted water supply or may be due to an insufficient supply of air will lead to void of the warranty.
The warranty may not cover any damage caused by faulty or improper hookups such as restricted drain lines, leaky, broken, or frozen water pipes, or improper plumbing hookups.
Water pressure needs to be adequate as per the washer.
If the water pressure is too low in your household then you may consider using water pressure pumps and make sure the water pressure is not set to very high.
Tip: Always make sure the hookups are installed and maintained as per the manufacturer’s guidelines with proper plumbing codes.
Also Read: How to Winterize a Washing Machine Safely?
- Inaccessible placement: Any cost involved in removing the washer or built-in fixtures from an inaccessible place will not be borne by the manufacturer i.e. trim, decorative panels, drywall, flooring, cabinets, islands, counter-tops, etc. that interfere with servicing, removal, or replacement of the product.
Tip: Always install the washer in such a way that it is easy to locate and servicing is not a Hassle. It is always a wise idea to avoid a complex situation in removing or moving the washer for service or repairs.
- Nature of Usage: The warranty is not covered for Commercial, office, multiple-family, non-residential use, etc.
This means that a domestic washer is meant to be used in residential households with limited capacity and any usage that is against the usage policy as per the user manuals may void the warranty.
Simply, do not use the washer for commercial purposes and with unwanted or excessive loads along with constant or multiple cycles.
- Rent or lease a washer: Renting OR Leasing your washer may void the warranty.
Tip: You should always obtain coverage information before you rent or lease a washing machine.
- Auction: A washing machine purchased in auction may not be eligible for warranty coverage.
Tip: Contact the manufacturer of the washing machine for more information about the same.
- Moveable House: Warranty may not be applicable if you have installed the washer in a movable property such as a caravan or a travel trailer or a houseboat.
The Washer may not be designed or compatible with moveable homes which may affect the performance of the washer.
Tip: Consult the manufacturers or you may search for suitable washing machines that are designed for moveable homes.
Manipulation of Serial Numbers
If the washer’s original factory serial numbers have been removed, altered, defaced, rubbed, or changed in any way that makes it difficult to determine then original sales or a purchase receipt is required for warranty validation purposes.
Always maintain the records of sales or purchase receipts and the warranty cards as these are crucial during the claim process.
Tip: Do not attempt to modify or remove the label stickers that contain the washer’s model or serial numbers.
A few parts such as air or water filters, hoses, valves, and a few plastic parts are classified as consumable parts and are not covered in the warranty.
Tip: Few components such as valves, hoses, and filters will last longer if they are cleaned and maintained in a timely manner. For more details on the excluded parts do contact the manufacturer helpline.
Any accessories bought separately or if you include with your washer such as a washing machine stand, door bins, washer cover, shelves, drawers, handles, etc. are excluded from the washer’s warranty.
Tip: You may have to reach out to the manufacturers of the accessories for any faults or repairs.
Always choose a suitable washing machine stand and cover, this is because any damage caused due to the non-suitable accessories may void the washer’s warranty.
Pests, Vermin, and Rodents
Any damage or faults caused by pests, rats, rodents, ants, spiders, frogs, insects, etc. will void the warranty.
Make sure you safeguard your washer from rats and insects. For someone who does less laundry should place the washer in a protected space.
Natural Disaster or Act of God
Damage due to any kind of natural disaster will not be compensated such as thunderstorms, wind, lightning, floods, or any natural disaster or acts of God.
It becomes difficult to prevent your belongings during intensive weather conditions or natural disasters.
You may try to avoid the damage to some extent by placing your washer in a safe and secured place especially when you belong to a region that comes under a flood zone or riverside.
Avoid using your appliances during heavy thunderstorms or lightning.
If you are too concerned then simply discuss any coverage offered by a third-party insurance company for such instances.
If your appliance is stolen or taken away by thieves, then the manufacturer will not take any responsibility for such activities.
This might occur due to insecure placements or maybe while you are moving your house along with your belongings.
Unfortunately, if this happens, then you may check if your washer was covered under your house insurance and covered under the theft act.
Always place the washer in a secured location within the household and Hire renowned packers & movers whenever you relocate.
International warranties are usually not covered for e.g if you relocate with your belongings including the washer and cross the borders to move to a different country then may not be able to claim the warranty of your washer.
Tip: When you move to another country permanently or for a longer duration, then better buy a new washer that is manufactured and designed for the new destination as per your needs. Do check with the manufacturer for any applicable coverage in case of relocation.
Warranties of washing machines are non-transferable in most cases.
Tip: Contact the manufacturer helpline to check if it applies to your washer type or brand and in some cases, you may have to notify the manufacturer if you are reselling the washer or if you are changing the address.
- Defects caused during Delivery or Shipment: If the washer was delivered with damages such as cosmetic damage including scratches, dents, etc., are not covered under the warranty.
Only if the damage affects the functionality of your washer then you should report them within One week or 30 days from the date of delivery.
Therefore, it’s important that you inspect your washer after the delivery and make sure it is working fine.
The reporting duration may vary depending on the manufacturer hence contact your manufacturer or look into the terms and conditions of the warranty.
- Warranty Period: If you fail to report any fault or damage within the warranty period, such cases may not be entertained.
Do not wait to report any issue to a later date, instead quickly check the coverage term and contact the manufacturer’s service helpline numbers.
Any other act or occurrence outside the manufacturer’s control can lead to voiding the warranty of the washer.
Tip: This information can be obtained from the manufacturer through the warranty guide.
The Warranty exclusions for Washing Machines may vary depending on the Brand, Manufacturer, Washer Type, Model, region or country, etc. Hence always refer to the warranty details when you buy a suitable washer.
Always follow user guidelines set by the manufacturers to prevent voiding the warranty terms.
For any service or repairs make sure that the manufacturers OR the retail outlet are your first point of contact, this will help to keep the warranty intact.
Do not replace any components or the washer parts that are not authorized by the manufacturer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few questions related to washing machine exclusions that are commonly asked.
Can I request the washer’s repair on the end date of the warranty?
The end date is also considered within the warranty period but no later than that. So, Yes you should immediately contact the manufacturer’s helpline to request a repair or service even if it is the last date of your washing machine’s warranty tenure.
Do the replacement parts start a new tenure under the washer’s warranty?
No, if a part or any component of your washer was replaced, then it does not change the warranty tenure. For e.g. If a component has 2 years of warranty tenure and it required a replacement after a year, then the replacement part will be covered for the remaining tenure under the warranty.
Can I ask for a regular service request for my washer within warranty?
Yes, you may simply call for the authorized service and request servicing. Make sure you confirm any applicable charges such as the standard traveling expenses or any additions.
You May Also Like
- How to Claim Warranty for Washing Machines on Flipkart?
- How to Troubleshoot a portable washing machine?
- Why is Whirlpool Washer not Agitating? (troubleshooting)
- Washing Machine Stuck On Wash Cycle? (16 Solutions to Try)
- 51 Laundry Care Symbols Explained
- How to hook up a portable washing machine?
- How to use a portable washing machine effectively?