You can either machine wash your Hanes t-shirts using a mild detergent in cold water and gentle cycle settings or simply hand wash them in cold water. Once you wash the t-shirt, let it air dry naturally or tumble dry it at medium heat settings.
With that said, it’s recommended that you read the care label thoroughly before washing or drying.
Most Hanes T-shirts are either made of ringspun cotton, polyester, or a combination of polyester and cotton. Therefore, you can machine wash them as long as the care label allows you to do so.
- Most Hanes white t-shirts are machine washable. In fact, you can even handwash them using a mild detergent.
- Always use cold water settings while washing your white t-shirt, as it prevents shrinkage and maintains the shirt’s original fit.
- The materials used to manufacture Hanes white t-shirts, such as ring-spun cotton, polyester, or both, make them suitable for machine wash as well as hand washing without fraying or deterioration.
- Always read the care label before deciding on the washing and drying approach.
- Do not use regular bleach to wash your Hanes Tees. Instead, use non-chlorine bleach or a suitable stain remover designed for white garments made of polyester and cotton.
Hanes White T-Shirt Washing Temperature
Washing your Hanes white t-shirts anywhere between 30 and 40 degrees should be ideal to get the best possible results.
In fact, almost all types of Hanes T-shirts should be washed in cold water to save on energy bills (recommended as per the official Hanes website).
Note: The washing instructions may vary, so please check the label on the back of your T-shirt for specific care instructions.
Can you put white shirts in the washing machine?
Hanes t-shirts are durable and usually made of materials such as cotton, polyester, ring-spun cotton, or cotton combined with polyester. These fabric materials are washer-friendly.
Therefore, they are suitable to be washed in a washing machine in most cases.
However, we recommend checking the care label before deciding on the laundry method. And always follow the washing instructions on the back of your t-shirt.
How to wash Hanes white t-shirts in the washing machine?
Machine washing your Hanes white t-shirt is fairly easy.
You just need a mild detergent, a stain remover (if stains are adamant), cold water, and a washing machine.
Instructions to machine-wash your Hanes White T-shirt
Step 1: Pre-treat the stains on your Hanes T-shirt
The first step is to look for any stains or traces of dirt on your T-shirt.
Once you’ve found the dirty or stained spots, treat them first with a stain remover pen or a suitable stain remover, depending on the type of fabric.
Or, you can simply make a pre-treating solution at home using detergent and a bowl of water if you are unsure of the type of stain remover you should use.
Once you have the pre-treating solution handy, start by applying the stain-removing solution over the stained areas and working on them.
You may need to follow the instructions on the stain remover label if you are using one.
If you’re using a detergent solution, just pour it on the spots that need it and wait a while until it’s all soaked up.
Once the solution is absorbed, pour some more detergent-based solution on the affected areas and work on them.
You could also use non-chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide (either one) to loosen the stains or get rid of them before the final wash.
Note: It’s highly recommended to spot-clean the stains as soon as they appear. Waiting for the stains to set in will make it harder to get rid of them.
Step 2: Add mild detergent to the detergent tray
After the pre-treatment, pour some mild detergent into your washer’s detergent tray.
For the right dosage, follow the instructions on the detergent packaging.
Step 3: Put your T-shirt in the washing machine
The next step is to put your T-shirt in the washing machine and set the right wash cycle settings.
So, just flip the t-shirt inside out and then put it in the washer. This will help to protect the printed graphics, if any.
It’s important to remember that if you are washing several items at once, you can put your t-shirt in a laundry mesh bag to prevent tangling or damage.
With that said, if you are washing the same type of t-shirt in the same load, then it is okay to not use a laundry bag.
Step 4: Set the right wash cycle settings
Now, set the washer to run on a gentle cycle with cold water settings.
Here are the ideal settings to wash your Hanes t-shirt.
- Soil Level: Normal (can be changed depending on how heavily soiled your clothes are)
- Water Temperature: Cold
- Spin Speed: Normal
- Wash Type: Gentle
- Detergent Type: Mild
Step 5: Let the washer complete the wash cycle
Once you have set the right wash cycle setting, you can press the Start button and let the washer complete the cycle.
Step 6: Remove the laundry load and air dry it naturally
Now, remove the laundry load from the washer and let it air-dry naturally.
In order to air-dry naturally, you can either hang them on a clothesline or put them in a drying rack to dry.
Alternatively, you may even place them on a clean, flat surface and leave them there until they are fully dry.
Note: If you are using a dryer, make sure that the clothes aren’t over-dried to avoid shrinkage and fading. Also, don’t forget to read the care label and avoid using high heat settings.
How do you hand wash a Hanes white t-shirt?
Hand washing is the easiest method to clean your Hanes white t-shirts.
You don’t need to do any complex prep work in order to wash your white tees apart from pre-treating them.
Once you are done pre-treating the stains by following the above-mentioned instructions, you can start the hand-washing process.
Here’s how you can hand-wash your Hanes white t-shirt.
Step 1: Prepare the sink or tub by filling it with cold water
Start by adding enough cold water to a tub or sink to completely submerge your t-shirt in the water.
Step 2: Add a mild liquid or powdered detergent
Now, add about 6 ml of mild detergent (should be good enough for 2 to 3 t-shirts) and mix it well.
Step 3: Put your t-shirt in the sink or tub
The next step is to put your t-shirt in the detergent solution and use your hand to rub the dirty areas as you immerse the t-shirt under water.
Then gently swish your t-shirt so that the solution gets into the fabric.
Leave the shirt in the detergent solution for at least 10 minutes or so.
Step 4: Work on the t-shirt to clean it
Now, gently work on the t-shirt using your fingers.
Rubbing the fabric using your fingers while it’s soaked in detergent-based water helps to remove the stains and dirt.
Step 5: Empty the sink or tub and refill it with fresh water
Once you are done washing the fabric, drain the detergent water and fill the sink or tub with clean water.
Next, rinse the clothes in fresh water to get rid of detergent residue.
Step 6: Dry your Hanes T-shirt
Gently, wring out the excess water and leave your T-shirt to dry on a rack or clothesline to air-dry naturally.
To keep the shirt’s softness, look, and feel intact, it’s best to let it dry naturally in the air.
If you want to tumble dry it:
- Set the dryer to low heat settings if the fabric is made of cotton.
- If the t-shirt is made of 100% polyester, set the temperature to the lowest possible temperature or no heat settings.
White-colored t-shirts tend to get dirty faster than other colors, especially because they’re white.
Even the slightest of stains can show up on the white background.
Therefore, it’s important to spot-clean the stains as soon as they show up.
This will not only keep the stains from setting into the fabric, but it will also make washing the clothes easier overall.
As a best practice, always wash your Hanes white tees in cold water, mild detergent, and a gentle wash cycle setting if you decide to machine wash them.
Lastly, it’s best to let the clothes dry in the air so they keep their shape and don’t shrink.
You May Also Like
- How to Wash Spirit of the Sea Billabong Tee (T-shirt)?
- How to wash sweaters? (Hand & Machine Wash Covered)
- How To Wash Infant Clothes In A Washing Machine?
- How to Wash Baby Blankets In Washing Machine? (step-by-step)
- How To Wash Bed Net In Washing Machine? (Easy Way)
- How do you wash LulaRoe jeans? (5 Methods Covered)
- How to Wash Kimono? (Step-by-Step)
- Can You Wash An Electric Blanket In Washing Machine?
- How to Wash and Dry a Weighted Blanket Safely?
- How to Wash Acrylic Blankets? (Complete Guide)
- How to Wash Faux Fur Blankets? (Step-by-Step)
- How to Wash an Alpaca Blanket? (Comprehensive Guide)
- How To Wash Barefoot Dreams Blanket? (Step-by-Step)
- How To Wash Minky Blankets? (Step-by-Step)
- How to Wash a Laptop Bag In Washing Machine? (Step-by-Step)
- How To Wash Gym Wear In Washing Machine?
- How To Wash Saree In Washing Machine? (Ultimate Guide)
- How to Wash Tie Dye Without Bleeding? (Safe & Effective)
- Ultimate Guide to Wash Swimsuits (Wash Swim Wear)